http://ktrolfe.blogspot.com/2013/08/home-tour.html

Saturday, July 23, 2011

I've Joined a Cult...

the couponing cult that is!;) Okay, I am officially on board with this whole couponing thing now. I've been watching Extreme Couponing on TLC for months, sniffing out deals through blogs and online, but haven't have the guts to pull it all together until now. I mean I WANT to save all that cash like the extreme couponers on TV do, but I don't want to buy things we don't use and I don't want to devote 40 hours a week to couponing.

So, I am starting small. I bought two Milford papers this week and two Detroit Free Press papers. I clipped all of them, sorted them into categories and put them in a binder. Then I went through and picked out the ones for products that we already use or are going to need in the near future. Then I looked around online at the sales fliers at Target, Walmart, Kroger and Meijer.

I decided that I do want to start focusing on baby products. After reading that in a baby's first year they use around 3500 diapers and 52 boxes of wipes (one box a week) I decided to start concentrating on diapers and wipes. (Mommy friends let me know if this number sounds correct). I figured why not? We are going to NEED them eventually. So why not find the best deals on them now and start a stockpile.

Okay, so now on to my shopping trip. I decided to go with Target because they seemed to have the best deals. I actually did two identical transactions but here is a pic of my goods all together:
















Okay, here is the rundown. I had a coupon for $3 off any Huggies 60 ct or larger and a Target coupon for $2 off any Huggies 60ct or larger, a coupon for .50 off any Huggies wipes 60ct or more, .75 off any Nature Valley item, $3 off a Bic Solei Pack, $4 off any Air Wick Starter Kit and .75 off any Colgate Item.

Okay, so like I said I did TWO identical transactions that looked like this:
Huggies 80 Pack of Diapers $18.79 (on sale)
Nature Valley $2.50 (on sale)
Bic $4.49 (on sale)
Huggies Wipes $1.79 (on sale)
Air Wick Started Kit 4.49 ON CLEARANCE YAY!
Colgate 2-pack $2.99 (on sale)
Subtotal BEFORE coupons: $35.05
Coupon Totals: $14
Total AFTER COUPONS: $21.05

So that basically means with everything, I got all of this with a "retail" value of $70 for around $40. That isn't the BEST (I know) but I think its a good start!:)

Oh, and a pic of my coupon book:

2 comments:

lina said...

your coupon binder rocks!! As for baby diapers, other Mommy's might agree, pass on stocking up on the teeny infant diapers and just move to the next size. Babies are in the itty bitty diapers for about a minute :)

Leslie Collins said...

I agree with Lina about the itty bitty diapers. Ruby was not in newborn diapers hardly at all. I ended up giving some away. The size twos and threes I would stock up on.

Yes, your binder rocks! I am very proud!!!!